07 February 2010

Cabbage is my friend. And yours. Part 1


Two new cabbage dishes this month.


I've loved sauerkraut since a high school exchange trip to Goettingen, Germany and replaced shredded lettuce with shredded cabbage in my tacos a decade ago after trying the Rico's Tacos at El Cid in the Missus' hometown of Oakhurst, CA. I cook with cabbage because I love the crunch and the slight bitterness. I've even garnished soups and the odd bowl of rice & beans with fine shreds of our humble leafy friend. But there's plenty of more substantial reasons to love cabbage. Alton Brown's Head Games episode of Good Eats clued me in to some of the health benefits of cabbage, and this article is the best-cited list I found of clinical findings that scream out "eat cabbage, die less!"


Then this month a sale on bone-in pork chops combined with the gift of a big butt (Boston Butt, that is) left me with lots of pork-centric meals to plan. Cabbage to the rescue!


First off, the chops. Out of propane for the grill, so planning to pan fry the suckers. The Missus LOVED these chicken sausage patties from Rachel Ray that led me to cook Granny Smith apples for the first time. Since apples and pork are a natural fit, it seemed like the Granny Smiths would cross over quite nicely. Here's what transpired...


1 med Granny Smith Apple (Diced)
1/2 Head Green Cabbage (Finely Shredded)
1 Med Sweet Onion (Julienned)
3 Cloves Garlic (Crushed)
Butter
Lots of Salt & Pepper to Taste


In the pork chop pan (with grease and burnt bits still intact) melt a tablespoon of salted butter and then added the diced apple and onion. Cook that until the onions are soft and almost translucent then throw in the garlic. Give the garlic 30 seconds or so (just till you can smell it cooking) then add another tablespoon of butter and your cabbage. Add some salt and pepper, toss things to get the cabbage coated, and cook it long enough for the cabbage to barely wilt. You want it warm and pliable, but with a good crunch left to it. Salt and pepper to taste and serve warm with the chops.


The Missus raved about this one on the first try, so that's a good sign. Alton Brown made his cabbage with some coriander, and I would have done the same if I'd had any handy. My favorite sandwich place in town adds coriander the Reuben sauerkraut, so I know I like what it does.


For part two, my twist on a classic to save the side dish that saved my Boston Butt. (Hint: The Missus can't eat mayo)

No comments: