30 August 2009

The surprise geek

I am a geek.

But though it comes as no surprise to many, I can't just drop that and walk away because my brother reads this, and he's the only person in my life who confronts my word abuse. So, I tried Google and a smattering of online dictionaries for a definition, but most of what I found was too specific - centered around either computers or biting heads off of chickens.

My friend Heather was surprised, and shocked me by wondering out loud when I'd "become such a geek" after I gushed on Facebook about Google Voice and syncing my cell contacts with Google. I know Heather from my second career (I'm on number five) as the Director of Operations (DOO) at a non-profit camp and conference center. And I was surely a geek back then. I once drove hours to attend a seminar on floor cleaning and proper use of entryway floor mats. More importantly, to this day, I'm excited about that seminar and how I applied what I learned. I still have the handouts, and I haven't been responsible for the condition of an entryway mat in ten years. Here's my point: Even though this joy in knowledge was not computer-y, it was deeply, deeply geeky.

That's why this definition from Wikipedia grabbed me - "A person who has chosen concentration rather than conformity; one who passionately pursues skill (especially technical skill) and imagination, not mainstream social acceptance."

There are all kinds of geeks. Any skill can be learned, but there is a best way to do everything. CARING to look up, discover, or even claim the best way, defines geek. Wait till Heather finds out she's a cooking geek.

So wherefore the blog? My mission is to make your life simpler, cheaper, and funner so that you can focus on making the world a better place. To that end, I'll post all manner of "hacks" or tricks or systems that I discover or run across (both computer-y and noncomputer-y). On the flip side, the geeky systems that I create for myself can be handy, but they can also become an end in themselves - a distraction from the relationships that make life worthwhile - so, there will be posts about relationships and personal growth. Cheaper than a therapist, so thanks in advance. I'll post a couple of times a month - more if I get around to it or start writing faster.

Out of curiosity, I found and took this test on line and rated around 30% or "Total Geek" which was only the third of eight levels of geekiness. I think I'm geekier than that, but I also think the test was skewed toward computer geekiness. And if you're wondering if that critique is fair, you're a candidate - so just go take the test. Full disclosure: I did answer "Yes" on "I exaggerated on this test to score better", because I also said "Yes" on the question about owning a lightsaber, when, in fact, I own a Stormtrooper blaster. Which is mounted on the wall. In my office.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROFLMAO!!!
Well, I'm glad that the Heather you referred to, was NOT me! I have know that you are a geek since... well since we could walk! But, alas... it takes one to know one. Some people may not develop thier "geekiness" until later in life - perhaps your friend Heather - who has probably always loved to cook but has recently developed a talent for it, leading to her dimise into geekdom.
I have always had a passion for well, everything I've done, has been considered creative and now that I have discovered conformity is bad for me... I also have become more of a geek and openly admit it.
I will close with a quote from one of my more successful geek friends..


"Geeks Rule!!"


...now I'm going to take the quiz...

xo (the other) Heather

Jennifer M Koskinen said...

Love the post, dear brother in Geekiness! The wikipedia definition is fabulous... I look forward to more of your posts!

Oh, and yes, I'm so going to take that quiz....

JK

Unknown said...

Very thoughtful, Josh. Me likey.
One thing stands out, however. I'm skeptical about there being a best way to do everything. I may be splitting hairs, but it seems there are likely a few optimal ways to do most things, but it's probably rare for there to be a single "best" way to do something. It also makes me think about how one could define "best" for various actions/activities. For example: fast, cheap, good--pick two.
Again, I'm probably just splitting hairs. But that's one of the things I do well, for better and worse.

-John

Josh said...

@(the other) Heather - Funny. Good to have independent verification of longstanding geekiness!

@JK - I'm jealous that there were "girl" points!

@John- Optimal is a great word! Like Santa Claus, a single BEST way may not exist, but geeks still believe in it. It's that belief that makes the geek.

Elaine Spitz said...

Dear Josh/Soul of Geek,
This is very entertaining and it seems to me that being a geek is desirable, certainly nothing to be ashamed of (I've been out of high school since 1974). I believe my husband is a geek, but he loves sports so much his geekiness may be cancelled out. I have, much to my dismay, merely 11.6378% geekish tendencies - gotta work on that! I feel confident that our geek quotient increases as we age. Thanks for sharing your post - looking forward to more!
Best,
Elaine (laineyd7)

Josh said...

@Elaine - Thanks for the generous comments! One of my geekiest friends is a huge NFL fan. He is, IMO, a football geek. Monitor your husband for geekish tendencies like collections, easy knowledge of obscure stats, and socially questionable timing for sports focus.